Friday, May 25, 2007

Big Controversy

OK, so it looks like a recent post I made has caused a little thought provocation and the first comment I’ve received on this blog since forever. So let’s take a look at that comment to see what it says:

The Frog Princess is a slur against the French because frog is a derogatory name for the French. So that means you can’t use the word frog? Maybe frogs don’t like the association either and are insulted they are associated with the French as much as the French are associated with the frogs.


And they don’t want the black girl to be working for a white debutante. That is good, because they probably would have showed the white girl in a bad light. Now you know why so many animated movies are made with animals. Avoid the race all together. Here is a good comment on the issues http://ucsdguardian.org/viewarticle.php?story=opinion03&year=2007&month=05&day=24

That’s interesting. I’ve never heard the word “frog” used to describe the French, but you learn something new every day. And showing the white girl in a bad light is not something I really have much of a problem with, except that had it been the other way around in any era whatsoever, that would probably be viewed as racist.

Note: the writer of this blog has no problem against people of any race for their skin color and has NO PROBLEM with the concept of having a black princess. That being said, I’ve just received an e-mail from my mother who I’m guessing has read my last blog on this subject and will be reading this one. It links to an article from “The Gaurdian” saying “I never thought I would be agreeing with a liberal university newspaper.”

I’m guessing that this is in response to the last part I said in the “Black Princess” blog: “I was raised not to look at things through race colored glasses, but every time I try not to, a white, liberal college professor essentially tells me I’m wrong for not looking at things in terms of race along with his pupils.” The reason why I said this is because several weeks ago, during a Cinema Studies class, the professor had a lecture on black culture in the media and we were instructed to examine how our culture is “Whitey” dominated in the movies, even though we have black actors playing some of the most moral characters and superheroes in movies today. Example: Morgan Freeman playing God, Wesley Snipes playing Blade, Will Smith playing Will Smith and Halle Berry playing Catwoman and every other role she’s done recently. The general opinion in the class was that no matter what part a person of color plays in the movies, it’s automatically racist. “The Last King of Scotland” was deemed as racist for having a black actor playing the role of a tyrant, despite the fact that Idi Amin Dada WAS, in fact, a tyrant of sorts. This is the kind of race baiting I’m up against.

But now, back to “The Princess and the Frog.” The point out and add to my opinion of why I think that changing this story around is a bad and unnecessary idea, read the whole thing. It’s my thoughts exactly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home