Sunday, May 28, 2006

For Your Consideration

I think I’ll go ahead and sum up the past several days in one enormous blog for y’all. In a nutshell, finals royally stank. They seem to do that, it ought to be a written law. I guess I did alright on my Art class final. I say this because the teacher quizzed the class on stuff not covered in the final study guide. Unbelievable, isn’t it? Well, it’s OK because I know my film class final is going to turn out OK.

Wrong. Last Thursday, the teacher decided to play hardball with me the moment I walked in the door. After having filed a complaint against him several weeks ago for nearly throwing me out of class for touching his camera in the wrong way and a dozen other things, he wasn’t too pleased. He told me that he’s cleared it with his superiors and put a bunch of stuff on my report that doesn’t look good. According to him, I’ve been rude almost every day of the past semester. And yeah, I’ll give him credit there for my having brought in my bike on days I was late, but knowing this guy, it probably includes average mistakes I’ve made in class that are all part of the learning experience, like unplugging the light in an incorrect manner. So with this on my record, he’s thinking that every film class teacher I have at COM will treat me like dirt. We’ll see about that.

As for the Final itself, it was a mess. Our project was to recreate a movie scene and film it and everything, shot by shot. We spent all day last Sunday doing it, only to discover on Thursday that it was almost all out of focus. My two shots came out crystal clear though. I was proud of that. Not that the teacher’s going to take that into account. As for the editing job, the guy who opted to edit it did so on his laptop, but couldn’t get it to export at all into a viewable format. We spent hours trying to do that, and failed. I can guarantee, dear reader, that this would not have happened had I edited it. Next time, I’m editing no matter what. As for my teacher, I know he’s told me that he’s not the problem between us, that it’s me and that I would be fired the first day on the set, but since I’ve only seen him treat one other person in class any way similar to the way he’s treated me that really didn’t deserve it, I’m pretty sure he’s the one with the problem. After all, what kind of person waits for an opportunity to get someone else in trouble for getting them in trouble? That’s pretty darn childish if you ask me.

Finals wrapped up with my Music class final, but I don’t think I did so well on that. Another case of being tested on stuff not in the study guide, but I still had fun composing the tune I composed for studying it. When I finish it, I’ll post it up here. What’s even worse though is that that very morning, I called up a company I bought a video camera from two weeks ago and asked them why it hadn’t arrived yet. I was told the week before that it was there in the warehouse ready to ship out, but not according to them when I called them Friday morning. All the sudden, it hadn’t arrived yet in their storage yet. What’s up with that, you ask? They told me I’d ordered up the imported model from Japan…when they said NOTHING about that on their website. TCS Camera, folks. They’re the ones I ordered from. I ought to file a complaint against them for this, but… (gasp) It might show up on my record and they’ll tell every camera store across the nation to give me a hard time! Yeah right.

In better news, Friday night was spectacular. I graduated! I finally graduated, and boy did I feel great about it! I walked the walk, I even did a little dance turn as I crossed the stage, it was a blast. The only real downer of the evening was listening to an elderly speaker whining about how we’re destroying the world and global warming will melt ice all over the world and the only way to save ourselves is getting rid of our gasoline products and institute solar energy collecting and wind energy and stuff like that. The only real problem there is that he seems to ignore adding cost of implementation into that plan. We use gasoline, because it’s cheaper than solar energy. That being said, I still walked out of that building with my head up high and shook hands with many professors, one of them being my Polysci teacher. Here’s the amusing brief exchange we had:

Him: Congratulations!
Me: Thanks! See you next semester!

Yup, I’m returning for one more semester at COM next year, then it’s SFState all the way.

After that, we all went to party down at Max’s, a really nice diner in Corte Madera with terrific deserts. I also opened up some swell gifts there. My girlfriend got me this awesome singing teddy bear dressed in a graduation outfit that sings “School’s Out” by Alice Cooper. Way cute, way cool. I also got some terrific cards. My folks made a really clever card for me. They put a poster for the movie “The Graduate” on the front with my face pasted over the face of Dustin Hoffman looking at the scandalous leg of what I assume to be Anne Bancroft’s stocking leg double and a quote caption saying, “Ms. Robinson, I’m making a movie and I thought you’d like to try out for a part.” It was terrific. My mom said today it took her less time to design that card than to take the car to Rite Aid and get one off the rack. Welcome to the USA in the 20th Century.

The card from my grandparents had a beautiful painting on it of a country road and mountain on it, but it wasn’t quite as breathtaking as the checkaroonie inside which should cover my education at SFState for the first year or so. There was so much fun this past Friday night, I felt like two days had past by the time the night was over. But the best graduation gift I got all evening, was just getting some private time with my girlfriend at home before she had to be picked up. I just love her so much, it’s amazing.

Saturday was an average work day. Ready for another major letdown though? I was ready and prepared to have my boss leave on vacation for four weeks next week, but his mom didn’t buy the plane tickets. That, and the woman going with him had to opt out at the last minute. And considering that he can’t do much of anything without an aide, He can no longer go on the trip. That REALLY pissed me off, but not as much as it did him. And if that isn’t bad enough, his mom, the one who pays me for working with him, now owes me two months worth of pay. I understand that she’s having trouble with the bank right now, but I also understand that I can’t work for nothing. We have a rule where if she doesn’t pay me for two months, I quit working until she can pay me, which sucks because he has to suffer from it. So you can guess what I’ll be doing about my work until I get paid.

As for today, Sunday, I had a fine time at church. Once again, pleasant times with my girlfriend seeing her there. Afterwards, we had a neighborhood party to say goodbye to some dear neighbors who are moving away in about a month. I’m gonna miss those guys, because I love their family so much. I’ve babysat for their kids so much, I feel almost as itf they’r emy little brothers and sister which I never had. I even bought them a going away present, “Sonic Riders” for the Gamecube. Had a good day today.

For the rest of the week, I’ll be busy again. Tomorrow is Memorial Day (Kudos to the troops!) and we’re celebrating at my grandparents house with a nice little barbecue. Then, Tuesday through Thursday (and maybe Friday) will be more Amber filming for me, during which I will turn this into a filmmaker’s blog, detailing the events going on. It’ll be a great chance for you, the reader, to get the inside details on filming a zero budget film project. Sound exciting? Well then, tune in later this week to the 411. And hope that everything goes well, too.

Seeya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home