Sunday, May 21, 2006

Safeway Sue-age

I’ve been meaning to blog on this one since I got it in the mail last week. A “Notice of Collective Action” is wanting to know if I’m interested in participating in the following lawsuit:

Two former employees of Vons stores have filed a complain against Safeway, Vons and Pak’N Save, on behalf of themselves and all hourly paid, store-level employees of these companies, who worked at stores located in the State of California on or after March 18th, 2002, and who were not paid overtime compensation. The case is currently pending in the United States Disctrict Court for the Central District of California; Western Division (the “Court.”) The name and case number of the lawsuit is “Stevens, et al. v. Safeway Inc., et al., Case No. CV 05-01 988 MMM (SHx).”

Plaintiffs allege that during thei employment with Vons, they regularly worked “off the clock” during weeks in which they worked more than forty (40) hours per week, but were not paid overtime compensation. Thjey are suing under the Fair Labor Standards A (“FLSA”) to recover overtime wages for hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week, as well as liquidated damages and reasonable attorney’s fees and costs incurred in pursuing their claims. Safeway Inc. denies these claims, and maintains that it has never caused any employee to work “off the clock.”


Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was always under the impression that working off the clock didn’t count for extra cash. At least that’s the impression I get from working a different job from a Safeway courtesy clerk now. I never worked overtime, I worked part-time, I even worked less then that...only to discover that that was a mistake. I guess I could sue them on my own for being bossed around by a grouchy manager and not being notified of my overdue union dues until they amounted to $360 dollars (I kid you not.)

What gets me the most here is that these employees for Vons, not Safeway, not Pak’N Save but Vons alone, are suing all three of these companies. For what? Nothing. And what’s more is, I’m being invited to join in on this lawsuit which doesn’t pertain to me the least! Hah! This one goes in the shredder.

What are they going to say when this one goes to court? “We’re suing under the clause of section C22, Paragraph 356, phi beta cappa of the ‘Suing because we can’ Act?” Ridiculous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home