Monday, April 24, 2006

Trash Day

I’m writing this particular blog as partly to organize my thoughts for my Art class final project and to inform the world about Marin County. Recently, I decided to understand the mindset of modern artist Robert Rauschenberg, a man who seems to love junk so much that he’s made a career of using it for modern art mess…I mean, masterpieces. Given that I take the typical attitude of trash being trash, I wonder how this guy could possibly do this for a career. Gluing trash together isn’t exactly my idea of a rewarding career.

So I started today, collecting trash for my project. To create my trash sculpture, I decided to get a trash bag and collect not only my trash, but trash I came across on my usual bike path. I thought it would take me weeks to gather up enough trash, which is why I started off this early. But after one day I ended up with a whopping huge bag of trash, enough to make a sculpture. I went about doing it this way because I absolutely despise seeing people’s trash whenever I ride. I could write a musical number about how beautiful Marin County is and how I can’t understand why people throw their trash out the window all the time.

My usual 40 minute ride now took me nearly 2 hours as I gathered up enough trash along the freeway. I stuck my hands into sticker bushes to get the trash I needed. I got cuts all over my hands doing so. I find it amazing that with the political atmosphere of Marin, we have so much trash around here. Folks, this is a problem. When I was in grade school, I knew better than to do this. We got about half a million educational videos shown to us explaining why littering is evil. So tell me: How is it that the lesson hasn’t sunk in even when people are at college level?

Honestly, people. Get with the program. Your planet depends on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home