Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The First Annual Banter Awards

At least that’s what I’ve decided to call this since I haven’t been able to think of a better title. I’m assuming that by now, anyone who’s wanted to respond to the e-mail I sent out has already done so, so I’ll post some of the most interesting responses I’ve gotten, all of which will remain anonymous.

First up is my personal favorite. In my arrogance of sending this message to everyone in my e-mail list, I sent it to a number of Yahoo groups that have nothing to do with Politics. In doing so, I’d broken an obvious rule: Don’t get off topic in a Yahoo group or message board…Ever. Needless to say, the message got rejected properly by a number of them, but the only message someone actually took the time to type back to me instead of letting the machine do it was from the webmaster of the Yahoo Kimba Group.

For those of you unfamiliar with Kimba, it was a classic anime series from the 1960’s of a white lion who ruled Africa. And yeah, obviously, Disney borrowed a buttload of elements from this series for “The Lion King,” but I still think both are great. Kimba had a message to it that said to me that we should work towards togetherness, peacefulness, and if any factions actually threaten to destroy you and your kingdom, it’s OK to kick some ass:

“My friend taught me that it’s OK to fight against injustice.” Kimba, Episode 2

In my own way, I still consider this one of the many reasons as to why we went to war in Iraq and why I still justify our doing so. But I just broke the rules and sent them a political e-mail. So I thought, “Oh well. The show’s got a pretty conservative theme to it. Maybe the webmaster will understand, right?” Wrong! This is the e-mail I got back from the webmaster:

“This kind of bullshit is expressly forbidden on this group, and you were notified as such when you joined. Try it one more time and you will be banned.”

Ooof, that was harsh. So I sent him back an e-mail:

“My apologies. I didn’t mean to notify groups of this. This was an accident.”
Hist response: “My apologies for the brusque e-mail I sent. It’s beena really bad week for me.”

Problem solved.

Next up is a brief e-mail I got from some guy I haven’t e-mailed in over a year and I don’t even recognize the name, so I’m guessing I e-mailed this guy once before for something and never e-mailed him again until now. His is short and sweet:

“What the crap?”

And the last e-mail was from a former partner of mine who, last I checked, said he was apolitical. Therefore, his response is just as inconclusive as ever:

“WHOA DUDE!”

The other responses I got were fine. I sent the e-mail to some of my teachers at College of Marin thinking I could get some good quality arguments that way (Or at least a few more lashings from my film class teacher to boast about) but no such luck. Anyhow, anyone reading this blog is free to post their comments on this blog and let me know which one was your favorite so I can post a winner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home