Monday, August 18, 2008

An American Carol

Several weeks ago, actor Jon Voight wrote a somewhat scathing op-ed piece on Barack Obama and why he’s definitely not voting for him as president. One can only assume that he won’t be invited to any parties in Hollywood any time soon, unless that party is hosted by, say, Kelsey Grammer or Bruce Willis.

Voight also promised us that there are a lot more Hollywood Conservatives out there than people might think and that in the weeks following, we’d be hearing more from them. Could this be what he meant?



Wow. That’s my fist impression. Wow. An entire movie made to make fun of the Hard Left. I never thought I’d see the day. Whoever greenlit this movie has some serious balls if they’re not afraid of the backlash they might get in Hollywood just for making this movie.

Upon rewatching this trailer, I have a few other thoughts. The number of Hollywood Conservatives is pretty small population-wise as far as the major celebs go. When you can fit them on a list, which has actually been done before, you know you’ve got an extreme minority. But here, the major Hollywood Conservatives are stepping up, seemingly unafraid of the aforementioned backlash. I compliment their bravery.

I do have a few reserves though. The movie is being directed by David Zucker, a man responsible for such classics as The Kentucky Fried Movie, Airplane! and The Naked Gun, but most recently he’s also responsible for what I consider the death of the Scary Movie series.

Secondly, the lead character is an obvious mockup of Michael Moore, who many of my friends and family members know I went though a serious bashing phase a couple years ago in the wake of his 2003 Oscar speech. Here he is finally getting his just deserts, but there’s one problem: he’s yesterday’s news. He’s washed up. Most of the people who still care about him are his die hard fans who still delude themselves into thinking that he doesn’t lie, he just makes documentaries that have half a million inaccuracies. Unless he’s preparing for a major comeback, I see no reason to dig him up.

So why will I go see this movie when it comes out? It looks cheesy, it looks like it’s trying to buy into the same crowd that’s been going to the many lame Scary Movie knockoffs that we’ve been seeing these past couple years, so why should I go see it? The answer is simple: political reasons.

Put yourself in my shoes, going to the theater these past couple years, thoroughly enjoying movies whenever they remain purely apolitical because every once in a while I wind up going to see some movie that starts preaching Liberal, Green party, Anti-Capitalist or anything-else-the-left-can-come-up-with messages and it completely ruins my day. And when they don’t do that, they only preach to moderates. After a year of watching these movies come out, I sit back and watch the Academy Awards, enjoy myself for the most part and bite my tongue whenever the Liberal folks in Hollywood use those little statues to pat each other on the back for being Liberal. Sure, they don’t always do that, but when was the last time you saw a Conservative getting an Oscar for making a movie that promotes Conservative values? It mostly happens once in a blue moon.

The last time I can think of that Hollywood let the Left have it was Team America, but even Conservatives can agree that it just wasn’t a very good movie. It was made by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the Libertarian creators of South Park, because that’s as close to Conservatism as Hollywood seems to want to get. That being said, I would go see An American Carol purely for political reasons. Even if it sucks, it could still be successful and we might see a rise in more Conservative filmmaking. Sure, as a filmmaker, I myself would consider avoiding political preachiness a good rule of thumb, but I’m just tired of having perfectly good movie watching experiences ruined by politics that I don’t agree with.

If we’re going to have movies preach politics, let’s make Hollywood a place where both sides can be heard, shall we?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home