Friday, January 13, 2006

De-Rewarded

I’ve spent the past few days making mincemeat out of “Sonic Heroes” and I’m proud to say that I’ve beat the first four stories. Now all I need are the seven Chaos Emeralds and I can unlock the secret level.

But enough bragging. I’ve been meaning to blog about this for a few days now. I remember years ago doing an intern job as script critique for an animated movie called “Fightin’ Feathers.” Months later, I hadn’t heard any more news from them and I e-mailed the webmaster of Prairie Pix Studios, the animation company making the movie, asking him how progress was going. Basically, he said they were still looking for funding. I can understand. Fair enough. So I headed back there just recently to see what progress was made and there was none that I could see, except for the website saying that the movie was due out in 2005. Well, it’s 2006 and the movie isn’t out. Guess it hasn’t been updated in a while.

So I decided to check out the rest of the projects the studio’s been up to and I found this:

ROGUE RODENTS:

Just when you thought that reality shows could not get any more interesting. Now we introduce the first animated reality series, where the prize is to go from a 2D character to a 3D character. But some toons take it more seriously than others.

A few points, if I may:
1. “Animated reality show” is an oxymoron due to the fact that anything animated is nowhere near reality, but I guess that’s part of the joke.
2. The first “animated reality show” was “Drawn Together,” but that show isn’t all that good, as goes for everything on Comedy Central.
3. The big reward is to go from 2D to 3D. This MUST be a joke. Most characters that were drawn in 2D in the golden days and have been rehashed in the 3D method look terrible simply due to the fact that the design doesn’t work for 3D. The resulting effect, in my opinion, can get either scary or ugly. Unless we’re talking about Popeye…











In which case, it doesn’t matter how you animate it, because he looks ugly either way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home