Thursday, June 01, 2006

Filmmaker’s Blog, Day 1: Sweet Canadian Mullet

Yesterday, I finally began filming a scene for “Amber,” the movie that’s taking me forever to make due to various reasons, and I promised myself that when I did, I’d turn this into a filmmaker’s blog temporarily. I mean, think of the chances here. As a reader, you get to have an inside look at what goes on in filming a zero budget Indie flick. Ok, so maybe it’s not as exciting as all that, but maybe you’ll learn a few things.

Here’s the scene: As our hero travels back in time to the ghost, he inhabits the spirit of Maggie, a young woman who’s apparently commit suicide. The era is early 1940s when World War 2 is still going strong. But what’s made her take her life so tragically? We find out during the course of the scene. How to make it all happen?

First, we reserve a good house to film at. My grandparents have a house with tons of older stuff in it. Perfect for a house from the 1940’s. Also, make sure you have the right actress for the part. Molly stepped in right when I needed her. For that, I am eternally grateful. As for the other actor in the scene, Maggie’s husband, make sure you have that actor as well. If he doesn’t call you back though before filming, make sure to call back and threaten to replace him. If that doesn’t work, start looking for a replacement. It’s a tough decision, but you have to make them in this business. I should know because that’s what I did just last night.

Another good thing is, make sure your costumes are perfect. After having paid a visit to Goodwill the day before filming, me and my folks who drove me there decided it best to go by there with her in the morning to get a good fitting costume that you can spatter with blood/corn syrup. Which brings me to my next point: make sure you have all the props you need for filming this. Corn syrup and red dye with a little purple mixed in looks very much like blood. I had no purple and had to make to with blue instead. Worked fine, except looking at it after I had to dribble it on Molly’s blouse, it looked a little too pink. Not a problem though, because I’m making the scene black and white anyway. Although looking at the scene in color, somehow it still looks more blood like than it did before on tape. Here’s what I mean:



That look like real blood to you? Good. Of course, we made a point to grab my grandmother’s hair dryer and use it to dry it off before it dripped everywhere. Note: dry corn syrup sticks like glue and is a pain in the arse if you get it on skin. Molly and I figured that out the hard way. Still though, it worked.

On to filming: Brief rehearsals before each shot are vital to the production. Sometimes you will be doing several takes, but it’s natural. Oh, and if you’re filming a ghost character and want to make them appear opaque and ghostlike, you’ll have to film each shot twice, one without the actors. That way, when you overlay the images, it will make an easy see through. Here’s a quick and dirty shot of what I’m talking about:



Ghastly, isn’t it? And it will look even more so in the final product, I assume. Can’t wait to finish filming this.

Just so you know, you need tons of patience filming. We spent from 11:00 to 5:00 or so filming this, one in a sticky blouse, the other lugging around equipment from shot to shot and constantly having to think the scene through. Filming is a drag, but it’s a good drag and well worth doing. By the end of the day, you’re burnt out and that’s a sign that you did a lot of work and need a good night’s rest.

I gotta cut this short now. I was gonna tell you all about the cake, but I’ll blog on that one later. Gotta get ready for today. Ciao.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corn Syrup blood is extreamly sticky! And it gets everywhere! If you try it, I suggest using papaer towels under the bloody clothes to keep it off you, if possible. It seems to come out if you soak the clothes in soapy water first, fyi. (don't worry James, I didn't wash the blouse so we can use it for the rest of filming)

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home