Thursday, August 31, 2006

Filmmaker’s Blog Day 3: Actor Heinz Ketchup

Alright, so I’m a few days overdue with the Filmmaker’s blog. Filming for Maggie’s Scene in “Amber: Journey’s Beyond” has finally wrapped as of Tuesday. Brian McDaniels, the actor who stepped in for the role of Johnny, was a good replacement and a fun guy to work with. He’s not really an actor, but he has a lot of interest and enthusiasm in this project, especially considering the subject matter of ghosts in the film. During breaks and whatnot, we got to discussing theology and religion. Interesting stuff.

Filming was scheduled to start at 10:00-10:30 at my house. Brian was going to drive over to my house and suit up. We’d shoot our stuff there, then head on over to the other house to finish filming there as well (Two houses are being used in this production.) Filming was then scheduled to halt at 3:30 when Molly had an appointment. Brian would drive me back to my house and we’d do some voiceover work there, then I’d be done with him. After dinner that night, Molly would come over again to dub one shot over vocally and do a single shot alone at my house at night.

What wound up happening: Brian’s car was in the shop, so he wound up taking the bus over and I walked him back to my house. Molly arrived not just with her costume, but with a costume idea for Brian as well: A WWII soldier uniform. Gotta thank her little brother for that one. As for her costume, we’d decided to keep the blood on it from before and just hang it up in a bag in her closet. What we didn’t anticipate was the corn syrup and blood turning pink and just staining the shirt. I raced around the house looking for the Corn syrup fake blood that I’d made just a few months ago, but couldn’t find it anywhere. So we used a pretty interesting combination of things in the kitchen to stand in: Ketchup and red wine. It seemed to work fine, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed to see how good it looks in post.

We wrapped up filming at my house quite early with a time surplus of 30 or so minutes. I always wind up scheduling more time to film than is truly necessary so I can make sure it gets done. Stopped by the Town Center for lunch on the way to our second location. And amazingly enough, we would up finishing our filming at 2:50, way ahead of schedule once again. I am officially no longer under the impression that this production is cursed: It’s just hell to go through, but well worth it. And since Brian could no longer drive around freestyle to my house and back to his, we did the necessary voiceovers right there on the video camera as well as get a perfect portrait of him for one particular shot. As for the night work, Molly came over, recorded her stuff and left, easy as pie. We even had extra time to mess around.

Well, I guess for now, this is it for production. I’ll be spending the next however many months it takes to do the rest of the work on the computer, but until then, adios and ciao for now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That blood smelled horrible! But it looked good. I had to drive accross town with that shurt on and I was worried about getting pulled over because I smelled quite strongly of wine. I decided to wait in the car while the two guys got their lunches (didn't want to scare anyone).

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home