Thursday, February 08, 2007

Farewell to Thee

It’s 12:30 am, early morning on Thursday, but to me it‘s still Wednesday and I gotta post this now, otherwise I may never post it. Early this morning, my family received word that my grandfather, Thomas “Papa Tom” Deane, passed away in his sleep. If I’m correct, he was 79 years old. These past few years, he’d been suffering from cancer and taking morphine patches to ease the pain. It wasn’t until Christmas that we’d discovered the cancer had traveled to his lungs and it was just a matter of time before he went.

Papa Tom was a great man, in my mind. He was a rocket scientist, an antique dealer, a good husband to my grandmother, a good grandfather to us all. He’d been up and down this great big world and back again. He was the kind of grandfather who could set you on the right path just about any time.

As my tribute to him on this blog, I would like to post something here. The MP3 here is a recording of me and Lauren talking to the man only a few weeks ago, taken on her Braillenote. For family purposes, I think this snippet of the recording is perhaps the most pertinent to the occasion:

http://www.geocities.com/opud00/PapaTomedited.mp3

God rest his soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home