Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Just Having a Conversation

Yunno, in light of my recent posts, I feel as if I should probably let you know that not every argument I’ve ever had ends in an…argument. For example, I recently posted another video to my Facebook page:



I like PJTV. Not all the time, of course, but particularly the commentaries put out by Alfonso Rachel. I like his attitude. But I was rather surprised to get this response:

can i ask why you posted this james?

Again, I won’t tell you the guy’s name, but I will say it’s been years since I spoke with him. Here’s my response:

Well, simply put, I have my Youtube and Facebook accounts connected. One of the effects being, every time I give a video a thumbs up on Youtube, it automatically crossposts it to my Facebook account. Why do you ask?

His answer:

im curious about your interest in both pjtv and your relationship to race and minorities. i have trouble understanding the worth of this video. Why are they, and (by extension) you interested in minimizing the significance of the minority in america?

To put things in perspective, he just lightly accused three black guys of “minimizing the significance of the minority in america.” This ought to prove interesting:

I'm not particularly trying to downsize anyone per se. I just try to follow what I believe was Martin Luther King Jr.'s philosophy of judging not by the color of one's skin but by the content of their character. Alfonso Rachel, as interviewed in this video, talks about getting to a point where we no longer have a "black experience" but an "American experience." I know a lot black folks myself who would probably agree with that notion.

His response:

I think the many minority voices and experiences only amplify what is great about America, that it's different for everyone but protects each person's right to that experience. I think until we are rid of prejudice in our laws there is work to be done.

In light of some things I know about this person, I’m sure he probably considers himself a minority. Albeit, he is a white person, but there are other reasons one might consider themselves in such a light. My response:

Yeah, there is strength in numbers and I understand that, but I also believe in strength in the individual. For example, as an Aspergian, I could consider myself a minority and classify myself as such, or I could accept myself for who I am ...and not blame my personality on a condition. I also know a woman with arthritis so bad she can barely move. She could think of herself as a handicap, but she chooses not to and enjoys life much more that way.

And yes, you're right. There is prejudice in the legal system. no one can deny that, but many of those laws are put into place with the best of intentions. And there are times when race or any other such category plays a part in it. I knew a guy who tried to move into a low income apartment, but couldn't because he wasn't Hispanic. Sometimes rules are put into place like that by people who consider themselves a category and it's little things like that we need to work against.

See? It’s quite possible to disagree with someone and not have it turn into a mouth foaming argument. I’m glad we had this discussion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home