Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Out of the Jungle, into the frying pan

I’m writing this on 5/25/05, but it’s in response to the events that occurred to me yesterday on 5/24/05. Over the weekend, I spent as much time as possible to study for a test that I thought was on Friday, but turned out to be Monday. A FINAL EXAM, to be more exact, in my Anthropology Lab class. This left me very little time to study for my Philosophy final which I could have sworn was on Thursday, but turned out to be on Tuesday. You can imagine how messed up my head must be if I got those that mixed up.

So on Monday night, I was up late studying for Philosophy. I called a small group of study buddies to collaborate on studying. The final was the following morning at 8:00 AM, so we agreed to meet the following morning at 6:30 to go over the material. Tuesday morning, I hardly awoke to the very loud sounds of my alarm clock which is set to sound like church bells. After spending six minutes in the magical land between sleep and awake, I heard my mom pounding on my door and jerked out of bed. I got ready in 30 minutes, which is probably a record for me. One of my study buddies, Alex, agreed to pick me up at around 6:15 at a certain meeting spot that we both knew, so I ran like hell to meet up with him there.

Now my greatest fear about traveling with Alex to school was that I knew he was a stoner and I would probably wind up in his car with him smoking the place up. I was afraid of this because just last week, I found myself in the car with two stoners smoking a pipe and one of them happened to be driving. For the record, marijuana smells like sh*t and the thought of smelling like it with a driver who made me think he was going to crash the car isn’t comforting. Alex was not like that though. He was kind enough to bring me to the study place and that was all.

So I had a crash study of a lifetime, realized how little I knew about philosophers throughout history and had an average test. And let me tell you it felt GREAT to get my first taste of the freedom of summer. It was a breath of fresh air. I was out of all of my troubles. But right when things start looking good, something else comes along.

You see, my boss, the man in the wheelchair, has had trouble agreeing with me on the work schedule for this summer. I worked three days a week with him last summer and his mom ran out of money to pay me with. I couldn’t work anymore until she was able to pay me back what she owed me. A few weeks ago, the same thing happened again, only I worked just 1 day a week during the school year. She had others to pay though.

Now my boss wants me to work three days a week again this summer. I told him over a week ago that I couldn’t because his mom didn’t have the money and I needed to get paid. He told me that she did have the money, but I’ve heard that one before from her. It’s not that I don’t trust her. It’s just that she always has trouble getting me money when this sort of thing comes around. So I suggested that I only work one day a week. We negotiated and said we’d work at least two.

I agreed to two, but I can’t afford to put them through the same thing that happened last summer, let alone myself. Especially since I got a second job this summer working on my movie “Amber” for money. I’m working three days a week in that job and two in my other job as a caretaker. I have my dream job and my job with one of the best friends I’ve ever had. However, my boss in the caretaking job is freaking out about only losing one day of time with me this summer and is probably still thinking of things to say to get me to work three days a week again.

So here I am glad to be out of school , but afraid that I just put one of the best jobs in the world in jeopardy. I just hope the situation clears out smoothly.

Oh yeah, and I think my song for the Wolf Movie contest has a pretty good chance of getting put on CD. The director got back to me, said she liked the song and had me do some changes. I just hope I make it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home