Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Revenge of “Love Stinks”

Last post was about the condition of my heart, but just for fun I’ll switch over to the heart conditions of a fictional character: Tails. Call me crazy, but I always have been and probably always will be a fan of the “Sonicverse.” Yeah, as in Sonic the Hedgehog. You know him. Blue guy. Runs really fast. Buzzsaws through stuff with his spines. Anyhow, I’ve been a fan from the start, but I’ve actually been more of a Tails fan. I know a percentage of the fanbase, both young and old, have found Tails to be irritating, but I never understood why. What’s not to like? He’s a cute little fox, he’s got a lot of spunk and smarts, he’s got speed and flying abilities. In “Sonic 3,” he even had more skills than Sonic, but they’ve kinda narrowed that down since then to different abilities.

Anyways, being a fan of the franchise for so many years has been interesting. I’ve watched as the Sega company has applied it’s story to their own characters and I’ve watched the alternative stories created by others as the Sega company has permitted. These would be the Sonic Comics as produced by the Archie comics company, the cartoons from the early 90’s and “Sonic Underground,” a cartoon show that most Sonic fans would rather forget. Although it had catchy tunes. The only spin-off I haven’t invested in is the British comics series, but it looks goofy enough to make “Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog” look like “Sonic the Hedgehog.” And if you’re an outsider scratching your head at that last statement, you can do some research at this marvelous fansite.

Anyhow, my point is that it’s nice to see so many variations on the “Sonicverse” and all the different stories that emerge from them. I haven’t whined lately about the Archie Comics series because I can’t complain much. I will however say this about the last issue: what a melodrama. Which brings me back to the condition of Tails’ heart: for over a year now, he’s had a crush on this one other fox character named Fiona. And the first problem with the situation is that he’s 11 and she’s 16, so it wouldn’t likeliest work out to begin with. So this last issue, he finds her kissing behind a behind a bush with, of all people, Sonic. Killer. Absolutely killer to find your best friend kissing with your major crush. I kinda know the feeling. Needless to say, Tails has tears streaming from his eyes as he shouts “I Hate You” to Sonic at the top of his lungs, then exits the issue at top speed.

Meanwhile, in the alternative dimension of Sonic that is the currently running, ever popular “Sonic X” cartoon show, another huge melodrama is brewing. In this universe, we have Sonic and the gang currently traveling across the universe to destroy an alien race that is bent on destruction. And I can see that Tails has got a thing going for one of the characters in the show: a “plant creature” named Cosmo. Wow, a fox and a plant creature you say? Only in the cartoons. But seriously, it looks like this sort of relationship will evolve. All cool right?

Well, not exactly. According to those who have already seen how this season ends in Japanese, thanks to the wonders of the Internet and a worldwide fanbase, we will see Cosmo sacrifice herself for the good of the universe. That’s right, SACRIFICE herself. Wow, that’s a lot. And in this universe, I think Tails is supposed to be 8 or something (Hey, some folks are early bloomers.) Here’s what Wikipedia has to say on the matter:

Recently, allegations of Tails-Amy or Tails-Cream relationships have come into prominence (despite that in the games, Tails has never had any diologue with Cream). They may be touched upon by the TV series, or may simply never be expanded upon. The same goes for the possible Tails-Fiona Fox relationship that could be present in the comic. However, in the 3rd season of Sonic X he falls in love with the new character Cosmo, who sadly had to take her life because otherwise it would mean the descruction of the universe by the Metarex.

Yeah, they have an entire article on Tails, including his inventions, his skills and his personal love life, complete with speculation that he might be gay for Sonic. God bless the fanboys. But seriously, this is some crazy s***. Take a look at the ending that a good friend and fellow Tails fan named “Spex” scored for me here. Oh…My…Goodness. At least I can say I watched the drama unfold here. By the time it premieres on 4Kids TV though, they’ll probably cut out most of the drama or find some way to ruin it by having the episode end with intense music in the credits as usual.

Man, when I think my love life has royally sucked, I can’t help but feel the pity for Tails, even though he’s not real. I mean, yeah, I’ll go for sad endings sometimes if they’re done well, but it seems like the creators are having real fun bashing him around emotionally. I mean, I like the ending and I accept it for what it is, but I beg the question: what the heck? I mean, I’ve been waiting for the writers of either franchise to give Tails something that lasts a little while. Years ago, in my youth, I read Sonic fanfiction where they liked assigning romantic relationships to the characters however they wanted, and most often I liked seeing Tails get a girlfriend. But I eventually grew tired of that fakey fanfiction crap and decided it was best to let the big guys in charge give him a girlfriend. Where’s the love?

Uh, I’m a 21 year old whining in secret about the love life of a fox that doesn’t exist. I need help. Oh and once again, I find myself posting old news. Looks like some of the other fanboys knew about this a LONG time ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home