Wednesday, December 07, 2005

RHDilemma

OK, so it’s about due time for me to get attacked again over my political beliefs, so I’ll go ahead and relay the events that happened today. Lesse, I did well in my Aural Exam this morning, my Voice class rehearsal went well…Oh, and I got attacked in the lunchroom for sending out an e-mail.

It all started a day or so ago when I read this blog from RHJunior. I wondered to myself, “Hmm, this is interesting. I wonder how much of this is true. Maybe I’ll send this out to folks on my e-mail list and see what kind of responses I get.” And so I did. Only thing is when you send out copies of an article with the title “WHO STARTED THIS CRAP????”, you’re bound to get some interesting responses. So I put in this little header:

“Wow, this LiveJournal post must be a real eye opener. I wonder howtrue it is. Beware of slam:”

There we go. I’ve opened the door to the possibility of this article being incorrect and I’ve warned the readers that this e-mail may not be of their tastes in so many words. I should be safe, right? Wrong.

Disclaimer: Author Jaimetud does not blame RHJunior for the events occurring within. The author takes as much responsibility as he deserves for the events that occurred today, which is to say not all of it. And I shouldn’t have to put in a disclaimer here, but I felt it in my best interests to forewarn the reader and let them know that if they post nasty comments about me putting all the blame on someone else, I get to wring their neck and force their purple face to reread this paragraph.

Let’s just say I sent this to a friend who I don’t entirely agree with politically, but we get along fine anyway. And he has a friend who reads his e-mails to him because he cannot read them himself. And let’s say that she’s Muslim and VERY sensitive about it. I’d just sent a very angry blog detailing some very nasty Muslim history to someone who would have a Muslim friend read it to him. Now you see where I’m going with this.

So I saw them today. And she didn’t seem to be too offended by the e-mail, so when she approached me and told me that some of the facts in it were inaccurate (That’s right, inaccurate meaning that they are not really facts), we decided to sit down and discuss what about the article was incorrect. So she went and got her lunch, and by the time she got back, I was already in the middle of retelling a story about something that happened a few weeks ago:

During an Improv cast party a few weeks ago, a few of my fellow actors decided to take some time to start bashing Bush over the most amazing mix of factoids and BS I’ve heard in over a year. Of course, I had to intervene and say a few things for myself. And yunno, many of them know I’m right-leaning, but they apparently don’t care. So I’m not trying to pick a fight, just offer a counter-opinion. I tried to tell them all that it’s really NOT a good idea to mix Drama and Politics in this manner because you run the risk of alienating your fellow performers. I got through half of that before I was rudely cut off and told that you can’t have Drama without Politics. BS. And when I said that I wasn’t taught that when I took Drama in high school, I was told by someone else that they always keep Politics out of everything. BS again. In no time at all, I’m told to “drop it.” And while I couldn’t agree with that person more, the person gave me the no-Drama-without-Politics BS tells me that she won’t drop it because “silence is the sound of agreement.” I can’t believe these people. This is exactly why I don’t like mixing Politics and Drama. Now I feel significantly less respectful of all these people and I’m supposed to work with them. So while I’m trying to defend myself from this girl, the “drop it” girl comes in again and tells me to “drop it.”

Me drop it? Tell that to the person who agrees with you who won’t. Oh no wait, I’m the only Conservative at the table. I should shut up. That’s right.

Flash forward to today again. I’m talking about that story with someone else when the Muslim girl cuts in to tell me that I ought to be ashamed. Apparently, I only want to bring shame to her religion, that I want to preach hatred about Muslims, that I’m a hypocrite for being sarcastic about something a few weeks ago, that my soul is going to hell and she really doesn’t care, that MY God hates me… And I’m totally pale in the face at all these accusations. I just wanted some verification, but instead I’m going to hell so it doesn’t matter. I didn’t write the article, I wasn’t the one trying to bash muslims…But before I can finish setting the record straight, guess what? I’m told to “drop it.” I kid you not. Then I’m attacked again and told to “drop it” again. Oh, where have I seen this before? Gee, couldn’t tell.

I know this is the land of free speech and all that, but I’m pretty sure that my unrelated “brothers and sisters” would be a whole lot happier if my lips were sewed shut with nylon, if that’s at all possible. I shouldn’t ask what’s wrong with me. I should ask what’s wrong with everyone else when they can’t be balls enough to listen to someone else’s opinion. And no, I won’t be sending any more of that stuff to that particular friend, but I won’t accept “drop it” the next time this happens. Next time, they’re friends need to drop it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike Fang: I think the next time you try to defend yourself when debating your political, social, and/or moral beliefs, and you're told to "drop it", you should respond with "fuck you".

People who don't give you the opportunity to defend yourself or respond in such a way that indicates your defense just went in one ear and out the other are self-important bigots who aren't interrested in debating, they just want to beat you about the head and shoulders with their opinions.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home