Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Craptop

A laptop is wonderful. A laptop is handy. A laptop is designed by the lord our saviour and will never cause us to sin. OK, maybe not, but that’s honestly what it looks like sometimes on the outside. But how do you explain to a mentally handicapped man that he does not really need one. I just started trying to explain it to my boss today and he seems to have the opposite attitude.

Picture this: Ever since I’ve known him, he’s needed a computer. Each computer he gets works for a while, and then he uses his incredible cerebral powers to break the thing by accident somehow. With the exception of the time he got so frustrated he threw one of his laptops and broke it. And the time he tried to open the computer and fix it himself. He’s told me he hasn’t done anything to his latest used computer, yet it blue screened on him last Saturday and it looks like we have to reinstall everything. Sounds like he did something alright.

Laptops are more expensive. Their parts are smaller and more convenient to carry places, and therefore more fragile as well as expensive. The screens break pretty easy, from my experience, in the hands of a man whose muscles are completely spastic. We have had many laptops broken like I said and even though he says he’s been easy on this one, I’ve seen him handle it pretty rough. When he has it hanging on the back of his wheelchair, where I put it actually, it has a habit of smacking into things. Or let me take that back, he has a habit of accidentally swinging it into things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home