Thursday, July 12, 2007

Way to Go, Bruce!

I just got back from watching “Live Free or Die Hard” a few hours ago. It’s been a long work day, the production for Gangster’s Guilt is coming to a close, my dad and I have an extentsion that we’ve been building on the house that’ll keep going till probably past this winter and we’ve had two free movie tickets from donating blood eating a hole in our pockets for a few months now. So “Live Free and Die Hard” it was, and a darn good choice it was, it was.

For the record, I’m no big “Die Hard” movie buff. I haven’t seen “Die Hard,” I’ve only seen most of “Die Hard 2” and haven’t seen “Die Hard With a Vengeance.” I have, however, seen Bruce Willis in action in many of his other movies such as “Pulp Fiction,” “Hudson Hawk,” “Mercury Rising” “Twelve Monkeys,” “The Fifth Element,” and “The Whole Nine Yards” so let’s just say I’m a fan. And I was not disappointed. Matter of fact, I’d like to see the rest of the movies now.

So what am I really here to blog about? Let me just say that there was more than just a message to the movie. Something my Cinema Studies teacher might refer to as a symptomatic meaning, or a meaning within a culture that wouldn’t make much sense outside of it. A message for the American public. Consider the following: The movie was released close to July 4th, a holiday which means a lot for us Americans. The movie was made in a time when our country is in a war on terror which it could still be fighting twenty years from now and hardly any other Hollywood movie gives props to it’s country for even trying to do the right thing. The “Live Free” part of the title doesn’t have much to do with the movie’s plot. Bruce Willis is an actor who supports mostly Republican presidential candidates, supports the troops and all that jazz. You can probably see where I’m going here.

The clincher is that Bruce drives the message home halfway through the movie when John McClane and his sidekick, Matt, are driving to the powerhouse and John explains why he does what he does. He divorced his wife, his daughters don’t call him, he doesn’t think of himself as a hero and he doesn’t even like being a cop very much. He just does what he does because he’s the only one who’ll do it. Coming from John McClane, it’s another day in the life, but coming from Bruce Willis, it takes on a new meaning. Here’s a simile for ya:

The United States entered the Iraq War with little to no support from it’s allies, some of which even got caught up in a nasty Blood-For-Oil scandal in the UN. We did so because we thought it was the right thing to do and we were the only ones to do it. Only unlike John McClane, we try to be heroes. So when John McClane tells it like it is, I do believe he’s talking to us. This is why even though I’m not the one to judge this movie in comparison to other “Die Hards,” I do believe that everyone who can should go see this movie. It’s good to see a Hollywood movie that doesn’t push a far left agenda, undermine troops efforts in Iraq or bash the government for whatever reason they can find. Just good solid action and plenty of popcorn.

Yippee Ki Yay, motherf***er

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home