Friday, June 23, 2006

Still Alive

Since I realize that I haven’t updated in a week, I might as well update my blog with the recent details of my life. I said I went fishing last weekend, and technically, I did. We took off pretty late on Thursday of last week to go spend the night at our vacation house, then didn’t leave for the camp location until the afternoon of the next day.

Let’s clear one thing up: I do like Beaver Creek, California as a camping location. We’ve gone there for years, ever since I was little. It’s been big family parties up there for many years. But this time, there was only me, my dad and my brother up there for Father’s Day and little did we expect the area to be spray painted with “No camping” signs. Somehow, this place has become private property and we could be prosecuted if caught camping there. And considering that we’d been looking forward to this for weeks and just spent a heck of a lot of time getting up there, we went ahead and camped out there anyway.

I have decided that I will never again make the mistake of sleeping outside in the woods without a tarp. I was under three layers of blankets, on TOP of a tarp with a sleeping bag spread out underneath, but I realized that if you don’t have the tarp over you to protect from morning dew, you will wake up at 1:30 in the morning with soaked blankets and freezing to death. After that, My brother and I moved to the car where I couldn’t find the recliner for the drivers seat and spent the rest of the night trying to sleep sitting up. Needless to say, I was quite relieved after taking a nap the next day.

Saturday morning, I got up earlier to fish, but instead realized that no fish were jumping and it’s quite easy to snag a fishing fly on plants when you cast. There goes my will to fish for the rest of the weekend. But it wasn’t a total loss. My dad brought up a rifle with him that I was never aware we had with my mom’s stance on not liking guns very much, I was quite surprised we ever had it. And as of this weekend, I can brag that I shot many holes this weekend in cans and other trash we had from some 40-50 feet away. I also put a hole in a bottle cap from about 30 feet. I am a dangerous man with a gun…If I ever have to use it on someone, that is. God knows, I hope I won’t ever have to.

Among other fun little things, I got to take photos with my brother’s camera in total hi-def and even caught a lizard. But it wasn’t easy getting out of there. On Sunday morning, we discovered quickly that the car battery was dead and we had no jumper cables. Since we’re not the type to be stuck in the wilderness, we made some use of wire cutters, wires, a car adapter and a chainsaw to try and make a totally Macguyver style car-jumping. Didn’t work well. Instead we hailed a passing car and got them to help us jump. Eventually, we finally got enough juice into the battery and were out of there ASAP.

Other than the amazing car back up in front of the Richmond bridge that we sat in for some 15 minutes, there’s not much else to tell about. But since then, it’s been back to work and I’ve never been so happy about that. In a long time, at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home